Nothing in Life is Free
If you’re a dog owner, you’ve likely heard of the importance of positive reinforcement training. Sophia Yin, a veterinary behaviourist, developed a program called “Learn to Earn” that can be a great way to train your dog and strengthen your bond with them.
What is it?
The Learn to Earn program is based on the concept that everything your dog wants, including food, toys, and attention, must be earned through good behavior. Here’s how you can implement the program in your own home:
- Start with basic commands: Begin by teaching your dog simple commands such as “sit,” “stay,” and “come.” Use positive reinforcement techniques such as treats or praise to encourage your dog to follow these commands.
- Set up training sessions: Set aside a few minutes each day for training sessions with your dog. Use these sessions to work on more advanced commands and reinforce good behavior.
- Use mealtime as a training opportunity: Instead of feeding your dog in a bowl, use mealtime as a training opportunity. Have your dog perform a command, such as “sit,” before giving them their food. This will reinforce good behavior and encourage your dog to listen to you.
- Make your dog work for attention: Just like food, attention from you should be earned through good behavior. Ask your dog to perform a command, such as “lay down,” before giving them attention.
- Be consistent: Consistency is key to success with the Learn to Earn program. Stick to the program and don’t give in to your dog’s demands for food or attention without first requiring them to perform a command.
What’s the benefit?
By implementing the Learn to Earn program, you’ll be teaching your dog good behaviour and strengthening your bond with them at the same time. Remember, positive reinforcement is a powerful tool in dog training and can lead to a happier, more well-behaved pup.
Looking for more detail?
Read more about the Learn to Earn Programme at Dr Sophia Yin’s website.